The Residential Colleges of the University of Melbourne offer places specifically for graduate students in addition to undergraduate resident places.

You will live in beautiful surroundings and become part of a thriving, warm and supportive academic community. There are many different ways in which you can participate and in so doing you will make new friends and have many unforgettable experiences.

Living so close to the University allows you to focus on your studies as well as contributing to the community in which you live.

Academic support

Support from resident tutors, staff and college alumni is part of the graduate academic program at each college. The aim of this program is to provide extra support and guidance for graduates, whether they are studying a coursework degree or undertaking research.

Networking and career opportunities

The colleges also offer programs to assist students in working on their job skills and preparing them for a professional career. Contacts made with alumni and other members of the college community will benefit your career in later years. In addition, graduates may be hired as tutors or mentors for undergraduate residents of their colleges, providing graduates with teaching experience.

Graduate community

Our graduates study a wide range of disciplines and come from across Australia and overseas. The smaller numbers of graduate students make it easy to find friends within the group, whilst also being welcomed as part of the larger college community.

For students moving to Melbourne to study a graduate degree, particularly those moving from interstate or overseas, living at college can provide the perfect place to live and enhance your studies at the university.

Different styles of accommodation

All colleges have slightly different types of graduate accommodation, most of which has been purpose built in the last few years.
Some colleges provide graduate residents with studio, one- or two-bedroom apartments, equipped with ensuite bathroom and small kitchenette.
In others, graduates will live in detached houses or larger apartments in which they share a bathroom, kitchen and other communal areas with other graduate students.
Finally, some colleges house graduates in accommodation that is similar to the undergraduates.
Please find links to all eleven colleges below, which provides further details on accommodation styles in each of the residential colleges.

Graduate fees

Please refer to our Fees page for current fee structures.

Note that in most cases, all catering is included for graduates in the fees – this includes three meals per day, seven days a week. Some colleges may also have ‘opt-in’ catering options for graduates.

Graduate scholarships and other financial support

The residential colleges have a long history of philanthropy and over half of our current graduate residents are recipients of some form of financial support from their college. All graduates who apply for a college place are considered for financial support, either in scholarship or bursary form, or as part of a tutor employment scheme.

All colleges have different scholarships available, so it is important to study the different colleges’ financial support offerings via the links below.

Please also note that some faculties and graduate schools have accommodation scholarships in partnership with the residential colleges. Ensure that you study your faculty or graduate school’s scholarships website or the university’s financial aid website for more information. In some cases, applicants need to apply for the colleges and a university place to be considered for these scholarships, whilst others require more information.

Examples of faculty/graduate school residential scholarships include:
VMIAL Doctor of Dental Surgery scholarships which cover the cost of residential college accommodation at any of the colleges for those accepted into the Doctor of Dental Surgery. Applicants must apply for the scholarship and the colleges separately.

Other university-wide scholarships are also available which provide recipients with a living allowance – this can be used to cover residential college fees. For a list of these scholarships, visit the university’s scholarships website.
Note that some of the scholarships available through the university and individual faculties/graduate schools have varying closing dates and requirements.

Please refer to individual colleges for Graduate Accommodation and Scholarships: